Thursday, July 31, 2014
Brith story part two.
When my nurse came back into the room I told her that there was no way my OB was going to make it. And that she needed to go ahead and deliver the baby. Now the nurses assistant and my nursery nurse were in the room hurriedly making final preparations to receive the baby. The nurse kept talking me through each strong contraction and I kept begging her to just let me push and deliver this baby. I could tell the baby was already in the birth canal which made fighting the urge to push that much harder. I told the nurse I don't care if my OB is not there I completely trusted her and knew she was completely capable of delivering this baby. Please just let me push. I began to feel frantic. I desperately needed to push and even with out me pushing my contractions were so strong the baby was slowly but surely making it's way into the world regardless of the OB being there or not. Then quite suddenly and to the nurses surprised the baby's head and shoulder just slipped right on out along with a burst of amniotic fluid. My water had just ruptured. And it was black. The nurses became obviously concerned. The head nurse told the nursing assistant to grab my leg and they pulled them back a little which sent the baby shooting out and onto the bed. No one caught her, I was so glad I had chosen "home birth style" otherwise the baby would have hit the floor. The nurses were talking in all kinds of terms I didn't understand and all of a sudden every one was in emergency mood. It was now 5:30 am. The nurse cut the cord and scooped up the baby and handed her to the nursery nurse who rushed her to the warming bed and started suctioning her. Aaron and I were confused. They didn't let him cut the cord. They were not saying anything to us they were only talking to each other. The nursery nurse started saying call 88. Call 88 now tell the pediatrician stat. Then I saw the baby. She was not breathing she was not moving. They began to "bag her" resuscitate her. Pumping hair into the baby. I clasped my hands together at my chin and began out loud to beg God to please let the baby breath, please let the baby live. I couldn't believe this was happening. I was completely shocked. I still didn't even know if the baby was a girl or a boy. I hadn't even realized the nurses were having trouble drawing blood form the umbilical cord and were push down on my stomach trying to get the blood they needed for lab work. The nursery nurse kept pumping air and saying "come on baby, breath, breath baby." And she was rubbing the baby quit vigorously. Then finally the baby breathed. The pediatrician came running in at that moment. I was glad to see it was my regular pediatrician. The baby was starting to turn from a horrible blueish grey to a beautiful pink as oxygen filled her body. They finally said you have a little girl. They kept working on her and then got her weight and measurements and then finally handed her to me for a brief moment. They told me that she had a foul odor to her because of sitting in her meconium for so long in my amniotic fluid. And she really did smell foul. The pediatrician asked what her temperature was. When they checked it it was 102.7. And I had also spiked a fever of 101. They told me they needed to take the baby to the nursery. And then whisked her away. Durning all of this my OB had come in and was like what, I missed it. But he finished up what the nurses had started he delivered my placenta, and had IV antibiotic and fluid administered to me since I was running a fever. Finally the pediatrician came back into the room and explained that they had started two different kinds of IV antibiotics on Nora and that she was wearing a heart monitor just to keep an eye on here rate and oxygen levels. They wanted to keep her in the nursery a little longer and they were going to give her a bath, if Aaron wanted to go down and watch and take pictures he could. Once my IV was done they let me get up and get a shower. Then they moved me to a recovery room. Aaron waited with me at the hospital until they brought the baby in for us to finally nurse and snuggle. It had been such a whirl wind that when it finally stopped and we had time to catch our breaths and were alone with the baby Aaron and I both cried......to be continued.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear your thoughts on any of my post so please share them here!